Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip ~ Mmmmm!


{This is a re-post in case you're thinking you've seen this before...
you have...I mistakenly wrote the recipe down wrong the
first time and have been working with it until I fixed it.  I'm a dork}

I have a confession.
I love cookies.
There.  I said it.

And of all the multitude of choices in the vast universe of baking...
chocolate chip are my favorite. Simple.

I decided to get a little *wild* and throw in some oats.
I know, I know...hold me back!

I found some recipe online that promised to be the best
oatmeal chocolate chip cookies EVER.

Pffft.
Hardly.

We ate them...but they were hard.
NOT soft and chewy.

After some debate...not much, but some...
I went with the old stand-by - Nestle's.
I've tried quite a few chocolate chip recipes and I always come back to this one.
It's my favorite.

Now, Nestle has a separate recipe for Oatmeal Choc Chip...
but I'm a rebel at heart.

I just altered the original to make my own.
Crazy, I know.


A visual aid, not because you need to see them...
just because I like to take pictures of ingredients.
It makes me smile.
My sister says I'm not normal.
Hmmm.


Ingredients:
• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup (2 sticks) real butter, softened
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs
• 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, oats, baking soda and salt in small bowl – I use a whisk to blend it together.

Cream the butter, white and brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until smooth.

Add eggs and beat well until completely mixed in.

Gradually beat in flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.

Eat a spoonful just to make sure they’re good. :)

Drop by rounded tablespoon or cookie scoop onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Adapted from Nestle Toll House original recipe



Most recipes you see for cookies and baked yummies
call for quick rolled oats.  I didn't use them.
Quick oats?  As in fast?  As in EASY?
As in something you didn't want to be labeled as in high school?

Nope.
I just use the regular rolled oats I get in bulk from the grocery.
They work just fine.


No disrespect to the "quick" oats...
I just don't keep them on hand.
They tend to be a bad influence on my other dry goods.
Feel free to use whatever oats you want.
I won't judge.

 

Just so you know,
I didn't eat them all by myself.
I even kept the family from devouring them all.
Barely.

My father in law recently entered a nursing home...far far away.

He's been feeling a little down...
so we decided to cheer him up with a little care package
that included some of these goodies.



Knowing him,  he shared them with all his new lady friends.
;)

©Kelly

3 comments:

  1. Oh- My son's very favorite. I will copy this recipe down. I have been using the one on the inside of Quaker Oatmeal and substituting the chocolate chips for the raisins. They are moist and chewy, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. these sound amazing!!! I'm writing this down too, what a sweet heart to send him cookies, he will love getting this package

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are normal, tell her there are lots and lots of us who like to take photos of ingredients! Your photos are beautiful by the way.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.